Tuesday, July 26, 2005

It’s a Pavlov-like response. Someone whistles: you turn. You have no control over it, even if you try to fight it with all of your being. Instinctual.

So… I walked to Trader Joes. I had some minor shopping to do, and what better way to enjoy the night zephyr than with a brisk walk through my hood.

My groceries included: Fat Free Vanilla ½ & ½, hummus, pitas, pickles, and Sea Salt.

I’m approximately 4 blocks form my dwelling when I hear it.

A whistle. No, not like somebody whistling a tune, or something that could be confused as a whirring or screeching noise,

ENTER: MONOSYNAPTIC REFLEX

but a distinct whistle.

I turned to face the noise, unwillingly, as my body took over.

There he was. A Hispanic male, probably about 28 years of age, approximately 500 feet away from me, seemingly to be a part of the Jiffy Lube work force.

He waved at me

I thought: either this gentleman thinks he knows me, or I must have a pretty good profile from the nose down. SEE ALSO: I was wearing a hat.

Imagine this view from about 500 feet away:


He waved. You can’t stop your body from reacting. Like any good American citizen, I tried to return the gesture. My hands were filled with groceries, so I did this kind of half lift of the groceries, half nod move (yeah, that’s going down in the books) in response.

I continued my pilgrimage. DESTINATION: home

Approximately one minute later, I hear another noise. Someone is coming up behind me (QUICK RUN – she thought).

It was the Hispanic male (men, you scare me).

He was riding a bike (wait a minute, back up, do you mean to tell me this guy chased you down on a bicycle?)

I felt awkward.

He asked if he can help me carry my groceries, and said I was very cute.

Hm. I must have some killer cheek bones.

In any other circumstance, I might have recognized his chivalrous notion. But let’s face it, I’m a Jersey girl at heart.

I declined.

He asked my name.

I said Nelissa. (yeah, that’s right, not “Melissa” with an “M” but “Nelissa”. I have no idea where the hell that came from)

He asked me if I lived in the area.

I said “no.”
He asked me if I was visiting friends.

I said “yes.”

He asked me if he could have my phone number.

I said “why, don’t you have your own?”

He laughed.

I picked up my pace.

He got the hint.

He told me to have a nice day.

As I rounded the corner of my apartment complex, I couldn’t help but think the myriad questions I had for this young man:

- How many other women have you chased down with your bicycle today?
- Was that bicycle just sitting there and you happen to see it and pick it up, or is it yours.
- Did you just leave work, or are you still on the clock?
- Do you have to pay for that uniform, or did it come with the job?

It could have been my destiny. I could have dropped my groceries and jumped on to the back pegs of his BMX and rode off into the sunset.

Moral of the story: when considering purchasing a new bike, go for the bicycle-built-for-two. It’s a real chick magnet.

No comments: